Map builder Updates

Steve

26 Dec, 2017 01:04 PM

I have been adding hiking trails to OSM in my area based on personal GPS, bing satellite imagery, and starve heatmap. i can see them very quickly in caltopo using the OSM layer, but I cannot use the auto routing tool on the trails that were added in August. Is there a tag that I need to set in OSM or is it just a matter of time until the data is uploaded? Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 26 Dec, 2017 09:39 PM

i only pull OSM updates once every several months, the next one should hopefully be sometime in January. There are a handful of technical reasons why I have to start from scratch and do a full import rather than using their daily/weekly incremental updates, the biggest being the distance labels I put on lines.

2. 2 Posted by torsten on 09 Jun, 2018 07:02 PM

Is there a schedule of planned OSM updates?

I'm working hard to make our area more accurate and eagerly awaiting updates to reflect OSM changes so people will have more accurate online maps.

Example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/42.1770/-122.7137&layers=CN

vs

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=42.1774,-122.71336&z=16&b=mbt

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 10 Jun, 2018 02:56 AM

I'm too busy with development work to be able to adhere to a fixed schedule. I aim for quarterly but it's generally been more like 3x/year.

I'm going to roll out a new update in the next couple days, but because I was using that dataset to create nationwide mapbuilder coverage for caltopo/sartopo offline before swapping into the production database, it's already 4-6 weeks stale. When did you make your edits?

4. 4 Posted by torsten on 10 Jun, 2018 03:05 AM

Only 3-4 weeks. Not a big deal. Impatience on my part doesn't constitute an emergency on yours.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 12 Jun, 2018 08:45 PM

Well, it's live, and it looks like your edits didn't quite make the cut.

6. 6 Posted by Sparks on 13 Nov, 2018 01:50 AM

Is rebuilding this layer of data more regularly on your list of things to do? I do a lot of updates to our SAR area but I haven't seen the updates come through with any regularity.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 16 Nov, 2018 09:42 PM

There is one coming shortly (as in it's done, I just need the right time to deploy it). I think I have the system down at this point, but this one was delayed due to figuring out how to load Canadian data (contours, non-OSM hydrology).

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac