Map Overlays as WMS or WMTS

sdague

27 Oct, 2020 09:47 PM

Is there a WMS or WMTS service for the Wind Plot and Fire Activity layers from the CalTopo site? I have a Pro account and can see the WMS and WMTS services from My Account details. But these appear to only have basemap type data (contours, topo maps, terrain, streets, etc). I would like to add the wind plot and fire activity details to a custom web map for my residents to see rough locations of local fires and possible direction of travel based on wind.

Are these Overlays available as services also (see Overlays attachment)? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 28 Oct, 2020 01:26 AM

Unfortunately we don't offer any WMS or WMTS endpoints for any layer or overlay that is user configurable (such as the wind plot and fire activity).

Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 28 Oct, 2020 01:26 AM.

3. sdague re-opened this discussion on 28 Oct, 2020 09:01 PM

4. 2 Posted by sdague on 28 Oct, 2020 09:01 PM

Meghan,

Thank you for the information. I would highly recommend offering these configurable overlay as unique services, especially for Cities and Public Safety responders. I was hoping to integrate these layers into a map for residents affected by a local fire to add context around evacuation areas. Also, I would recommend listing the layers that you do offer as WMS or WMTS services within your various subscription levels. We purchased based on the belief that these overlays would be available. I hope that this can be addressed in the future. Maybe these layers can be made available for a short time during an emergency (something to consider).

Again, thank you for the information and I hope that these layers can be made available in the future.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Julie on 29 Oct, 2020 05:58 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for the feedback. To be clear, it's not a choice to just hold back some information. The development requirement is significant to include those layers, and offering every available configuration is a huge amount of data.

Can I ask if there is a reason you need to use them in another service, rather than building and sharing maps straight from CalTopo? Is there some way we could help you do that?

Thanks,
    Julie

6. 4 Posted by sdague on 29 Oct, 2020 07:14 PM

Julie,

We have our own GIS enterprise map environment that can consume WMS/WMTS services, but I do not publish to those protocols. Also, we consume services from other agencies (fire, pd, etc) that are not available as WMS/WMTS. So integration on my server with full control is preferable. I understand that each variation requires an additional service to accommodate. If CalTopo offered wind plot (not gust), plus maybe two or three of the fire activity overlays, that would only add 3-5 services and cover my needs in the future.

The data has value for us if we can integrate with our service/map. At this point, the local fire that we would have used this data for is under control and our evac zones are cleared. However, for future or longer duration events, it would be nice to have access to this data. Our current work around would be to provide screenshots of the areas and update them on our website to provide extra context and information for residents.

Thanks for the follow-up.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Julie on 29 Oct, 2020 11:14 PM

Hi,

Thank you for detailing that more for us. We do want to support disaster response, and this is an innovative and interesting use case of our product that we had not considered to a great extent up to this point. We need to look into the implications of this type of use and the process for supporting it, but will consider adding the layers you request. The details are far up in the air though, and will require more discussion on our part.

Please let us know if we can offer you any further assistance with the existing features.

Thanks,
    Julie

8. 6 Posted by sdague on 29 Oct, 2020 11:20 PM

Julie,

All I ask is for consideration. If it fits the business and does not over burden your staff, then it would be nice. Most city and county agencies within California use ESRI for GIS web maps. It is possible to consume WMS/WMTS services. It is also possible to publish to WMS. Most of the time, agencies will use map image or feature services to handle GIS data within web maps. If your internal discussion leads to additional layers being made available, I look forward to utilizing them to help provide information to my residents. If not, then I will utilized the services in a more static approach as needed

Good luck and thanks again for your comments and understanding.

9. Julie closed this discussion on 30 Oct, 2020 07:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac