Forest Service maps in gpx format

Jamie Painter

12 Jul, 2020 12:07 AM

I would like to replace my Garmin GPS's preloaded maps with FS maps. Does anyone where can I find such maps in .gpx format? Do you see any pitfalls in doing this?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 12 Jul, 2020 03:30 PM

Hi,
    I think you're confused about file types and maps. GPX files do not contain any base maps, they contain only map features (such as lines, markers, etc). You can create and load GPX files to almost any device. However that will not bring new base maps.

Garmin locks down their devices pretty well and typically you have to obtain base maps from Garmin. There are convoluted ways to load other base layers depending on the Garmin device and format support. We do have a variety of maps packaged for offline use including on some Garmin devices, and can export small blocks of MBTiles files for use on other devices as well.

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2020 03:30 PM.

3. Jamie Painter re-opened this discussion on 12 Jul, 2020 03:38 PM

4. 2 Posted by Jamie Painter on 12 Jul, 2020 03:38 PM

Thank you for the response and distinction between map data and the maps themselves. I was hoping that using a different map layer in my GPS would be easy. I will contact Garmin to find out what options I have, if any. The Gaia app for smartphones has good, contemporary maps in my area, but it has deficiencies that make it otherwise inferior to my GPS. The best scenario for me would be to have Gaia quality maps on my GPS.
    --------------------

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 12 Jul, 2020 03:40 PM

You're always welcome to use our mobile app! And if you can import MBTiles to your Garmin device you would be able to create those with our software.

Best,
    Ben

6. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2020 03:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac