Slow/No topo map loading on my iPhone while in backcountry

Rick

14 Jun, 2020 07:05 PM

How do I get maps to quickly load on my iPhone even if I have not planned out a track or created any waypoints? I was hiking yesterday and was several miles away from my car. I knew what trail I was on but I wanted to know how far I was from my turn-around point. I launched the iPhone app and got to the map screen. I clicked on the "Go to your current location" icon and the topo map didn't load. My position was a spot on a very blurry screen with no map data. I assumed the map needed to load so I waited a minute for it to do so. No luck. I left the phone in this mode and put it in my pocket. Several minutes later I checked again - still no map info.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 14 Jun, 2020 07:52 PM

Did you have a reliable data connection? If not, had you downloaded the area you were hiking in before you went off the grid?

In order to load mapping you either need to have the ability to download map layers via mobile data while out exploring, or download them in advance of traveling off grid. The locate me function will always locate you regardless of where and what cell service you have however if you have no mapping data it will just show up in the middle of a gray area.

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 14 Jun, 2020 07:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac