canoe routes

Ilya

22 May, 2020 05:28 PM

Hello, I am trying to prepare a map to use with Garmin's Basecamp. This is y first try with either software. I searched Caltopo for the place of interest (Kawartha highlands provincial park) selected a map type (Mapbuilder Topo). I have two questions so far. Some lakes are missing their names. Is there a way to add names? Second is I only saw a tutorial on how to mark a route with preexisting trail, which was used by the software to set the route. There is no preexisting canoe route on the map so how can I set one?
Thank you very much.
Ilya

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 22 May, 2020 09:14 PM

Hi Ilya,

Thanks for reaching out! I would be happy to help you work through your questions:

1. Is there a way to add names? Different map layers have different information. MapBuilder Topo is a great layer to start with but, as you found out, it doesn't have some of the information you are looking for. I selected the 7.5' Topo Map from the preset layers in the left side bar and it did have the names of the lakes (please see the screenshot below). If a map layer doesn't have the information you are looking for, explore some of the other map layers and see if one them does have it! If you wanted to add your own names, you could also click Add New Object> Marker in the left side bar and enter the name of the lake in your label.

2. There is no preexisting canoe route on the map so how can I set one? It sounds like you would like to draw a canoe route. The easiest way to do this is click Add New Object> Line in the left sidebar. You can then draw your route without following preexisting trails or roads one of two ways:
      *Straight line segments: Single click begins a new straight line segment. A subsequent click will draw a line segment between the two points. Repeat as needed to complete the line. *Freehand drawing: If you hold the shift key down while holding the mouse button down, you can draw the next line segment with the cursor. You do not need to continue to hold the shift key down while you are drawing. To switch back to a straight line segment, click again without holding the shift key down.

More detailed help with drawing lines can be found here: https://help.caltopo.com/kb/objects/lines-and-polygons

I hope this helps answer your question and happy mapping!
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 22 May, 2020 09:14 PM.

3. Ilya Gourevich re-opened this discussion on 23 May, 2020 09:04 PM

4. 2 Posted by Ilya Gourevich on 23 May, 2020 09:04 PM

Hi Meghan,
    Thank you so much. I'll try doing that. I would like to ask you another
    question. I saw in a tutorial that I can save the map, after I am done with
    it, in a format that GPS devises can understand and yet I read that some
    people export the map done with Caltopo into Garmin's freeware Basecamp.
    What do they do that for?
    Thank you very much again.
    Best regards,
    Ilya

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 23 May, 2020 11:00 PM

Ilya,
    We offer a very open platform. You're welcome to export into any application in a variety of formats (KML, GPX, etc). Whatever you need for your device.

Of note you can also use Snap-to for hydrology to snap to the middle of waterways.

Best,
    Ben

6. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 23 May, 2020 11:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac