Dispersed Campsites on Map

johndouglasdaniels

07 May, 2020 04:15 PM

Is it possible to view dispersed campsites listed on the US Forest Service's website on Caltopo? For instance, I am trying to view Winfield which can be seen on the USFS website here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/psicc/recarea/?recid=12550.

While some of these are on the USFS Visitor layer, the map coverage is spotty and doesn't include most of the area.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 07 May, 2020 04:28 PM

USFS doesn't make these available digitally unfortunately, their coverage of their own area is actually pretty spotty.

For example on Chaffee 390 (Winfield Road), there are the couple put ins on the res, then no camping until the USFS border, there is a ton of dispersed stuff on the L side of the road after the USFS border as you head up toward the campground and last trailhead. 2WD can make it all the way to the stream crossing (and if the water is low I've seen people make it all the way to Huron).

...I may have slept out there several nights a week ago.

Unfortunately, lots of that great info isn't reflected on our map yet.

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 07 May, 2020 04:28 PM.

3. johndouglasdaniels re-opened this discussion on 07 May, 2020 04:54 PM

4. 2 Posted by johndouglasdani... on 07 May, 2020 04:54 PM

Thanks for the quick response and great info, Ben! Great minds must think alike

If not on Caltopo, do you have another source you can recommend to find info, maps, and beta on dispersed camping spots in Colorado? Or do you happen to have any other recs for future reference?

Appreciate all the work you guys do. Love the site!

Best,

Doug

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 07 May, 2020 05:08 PM

So the USFS makes a MVUM map which used to have shading for dispersed camping but they don't appear to be doing that anymore. They still are making the maps, but the new ones aren't shaded.

This is the one for that area: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd681154.pdf

We have the digital version of these maps in CalTopo as an overlay (MVUM). You can always do that overlay on top of satellite imagery and look for clearings/openings that appear decent to camp in. That's pretty much what I do.

6. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 07 May, 2020 05:08 PM.

7. johndouglasdaniels re-opened this discussion on 07 May, 2020 05:09 PM

8. 4 Posted by johndouglasdani... on 07 May, 2020 05:09 PM

Thanks, Ben

Hope you have a good weekend planned. Appreciate all the help.

Best,

Doug

9. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 07 May, 2020 05:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac