Joining lines

Andy

22 Mar, 2020 09:23 PM

I am putting this here, as it doesn't seem like a bug to me...
Let's say I draw a pentagon shape track using "line", starting/ending at the same place, and then decide I actually want it to be a square shape. So I click on the line, and choose modify-> split here where I want to break it. I then draw and name the actual track I want, save it, and delete the cut out portion I don't want. I click on the original line, and choose modify-> join to, and select line 2. Instead of joining them where I want, at the point where I split the original and then drew line 2, they get joined at the other place they meet- the theoretical trail head. While this still gives the elevation profile, distance, etc and could be followed perfectly fine as a gpx in the field (in your fantastic app!), part of me just needs these things to be in the correct order!
Is there any way to dictate where the lines will join when joining them? Hopefully my theoretical situation is clear as mud!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 22 Mar, 2020 11:07 PM

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Can you create a map with the end result that you're referencing?

2. 2 Posted by Andrew Rose on 22 Mar, 2020 11:57 PM

Hey Ben,
    https://caltopo.com/m/7N7B
    In this example, if I split Hall Ranch outside loop at the point indicated,
    then try to attach it to Oops!, sometimes the lines will join at the other
    point of intersection, in this case the point where I've indicated the
    trailhead. Does that make sense?

3. 3 Posted by Andy on 23 Mar, 2020 03:22 PM

While I guess this question still stands, I've since realized perhaps a better way to do this is split the line at a point, delete the part I don't want, then extend the original line vs drawing a second line and trying to join them.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac