What does offline map coverage show?

steve.levy

22 Feb, 2020 02:02 AM

1) when we go to map coverage some rectangles are filled-in showing coverage, but others are not, albeit all of them are in the tiles directory for this instanciation of sartopo-offline. What does this indicate?
2) why does our coverage map show a base layer only of California?
3) is there a means to tell which layers and coversge we have downloaded, specifically those with multiple resolutions?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 23 Feb, 2020 03:07 PM

Hi Steve,
    I think you're asking about the map in CalTopo-offline.
    1. The map shows the selected layer (in the left corner of the screen) and its availability offline. Shaded blue indicates that the layer has been downloaded in that area for offline use. If you want to see a different layer you can switch layers in the dropdown. I assume the tiles you are referencing are on a different layer.
    2. I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, are you not selecting areas in California and you're seeing California?
    3. See above. However if you have the same layer in two different resolutions there is currently no explicit indication of that. If you don't have the highest resolution for a layer it will be shaded light blue per the key, if you do have the full resolution version you'll see dark blue shading.

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2020 03:07 PM.

3. steve.levy re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2020 04:00 PM

4. 2 Posted by steve.levy on 23 Feb, 2020 04:00 PM

Ben,Thanks for the responses, I guess I was not clear in the questions. Specifically this has to do with sartopo, but I believe that should not matter?  In 1) I was attempting to note we have many map layers downloaded over Northern California, but only one layer has the rectagles shaded-in.  What is the program looking at when determining what to shade?  Shouldn't it show shading for tiles in all downloaded layers?In 2) available tiles are noted by rectangles covering not only California.  But 'under' those rectangles there is a light topo of California, with Nevada and Oregon, etc as blank.  Just curious as to why that is the case,  does it have something to do with our account?Thanks again,SteveSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
    -------- Original message --------From: Ben Lantow <[email blocked]> Date: 2/23/20 7:07 AM (GMT-08:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: What does offline map coverage show? [Map Room #2106]

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 25 Feb, 2020 04:03 PM

Ok. Is this in the mobile app or on the desktop installation?

1. I'm really at a loss of what you're trying to say here. If you click the drop down menu with the full list of layers, it will show coverage for each layer (when it is selected). If the box is shaded then you have all or partial coverage of that layer. It looks at what layer you are viewing coverage for and the coverage you have downloaded.
    2. Can you send me a photo of this, I'm unclear of what you're describing.

Best
    Ben

6. 4 Posted by steve.levy on 28 Feb, 2020 05:01 AM

Ben,Hopefully the third time will be a charm?I have attached two pictures1) Note one has shaded rectangles on a given map layer and the other unshaded rectangles for its map layer.  But we have tiles for both of these layers in the data directory.  Why does one show as having tiles and the other does not?  So, what is the shading showing?2) Notice on the two maps, only California has the USGS base map under it.  Why not the entire US?  Do we have something set that limits the extent of that base view?
    Does the above explain what I am asking in my two questions?Steve

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020, 08:03:47 AM PST, Ben Lantow <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 28 Feb, 2020 07:04 AM

Steve, what are the contents of your data/tiles directory?

It looks like you have some really really old USGS topo data, from well before I stopped distributing map data around on thumbdrives, that was comprised of a bunch of zip files rather than mbtiles files. SARTopo Offline knows how to read those files (although I'll be dropping support soon), but doesn't know how to map their contents to the coverage squares shown on the downloader.

For various reasons, if you have data that's still in the old zip format, I'd recommend deleting it and re-downloading via the downloader.

8. 6 Posted by steve.levy on 28 Feb, 2020 07:21 AM

Yeah, most of the data is in zips. A small amount in mbtiles.  Tom says we need to update to mbtiles and reduce the number of files, etc. Looks like it will help a lot of things.ThanksSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
    -------- Original message --------From: matt <[email blocked]> Date: 2/27/20 11:04 PM (GMT-08:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: What does offline map coverage show? [Map Room #2106]

9. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 29 Feb, 2020 02:05 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac