Alaska MVUM sources? Specifically Klutina Lake trail

Alan

25 Oct, 2019 04:35 PM

Hello,

I'm wondering what data sources were used for the Alaska motor vehicle usage maps. Specifically the Klutina Lake OHV trail for an example. The original MVUMs have more information about snowmobiling, dispersed camping, etc that is not present on caltopo.

The large USFS parks like Tongass and Chugach are pretty easy find. Where did the data for the other areas come from?

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 25 Oct, 2019 04:41 PM

Hi Alan,
    The MVUM layer is an aggregate of BLM and USFS data. Unfortunately neither BLM or USFS provides that dispersed camping information online except for in the PDF or scanned versions of their maps which we can't parse and import. We reached out to both agencies and it sounds like they get asked about that frequently but as of yet haven't included it unfortunately.

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 25 Oct, 2019 04:41 PM.

3. Ben Lantow re-opened this discussion on 25 Oct, 2019 04:44 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ben Lantow on 25 Oct, 2019 04:44 PM

I did actually just look that Klutina Lake section is BLM land and is BLM mapping info.

Sorry there isn't more we can list, BLM data is...not the best, but better than nothing.

5. 3 Posted by Alan on 25 Oct, 2019 05:13 PM

Thanks, Ben. How can I find the BLM data for that area? I looked around on the web and didn't find it.

-Alan

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ben Lantow on 25 Oct, 2019 05:17 PM

The BLM data set is called GTLF, we're using a national data set we got in vector format directly from them. I do not know exactly where the consumer facing data is.

Best,
    Ben

7. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 25 Oct, 2019 05:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac