Part of Yosemite missing from forest service layer

Marcus

23 Oct, 2019 07:50 PM

I find the FS 2016 layer to be the clearest one for printing, but ran into an issue where part of my route is on uncharted territory. I used the same layer in GaiaGPS to draw out the route, so I know the tiles exist, but just not in the 2013/2016 forest service layers.

Is this a bug? Any way I can get them visible?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 24 Oct, 2019 12:38 AM

That is not forrest service land and therefore there is no forrest service map layer for them. Thats the Yosemite national park which isn't included on any forrest service map. If Gaia is infilling those that means they are most likely patching in a different map source onto their layer. It is possible though I'll have to research that the USFS included some NPS data in a more recent update of their mapping. We were just talking the other day about pulling a new USFS topo layer but we aren't there yet, focused on a few other priorities. Did you try the Mapbuilder hybrid map?

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 12:38 AM.

3. Marcus re-opened this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 12:57 AM

4. 2 Posted by Marcus on 24 Oct, 2019 12:57 AM

Ok, makes sense. I went back and checked the layer in Gaia. It wasn't forest service, it was:

"Full coverage of the United States based on new vector maps from the USGS. You'll also find official National Resources Canada (NRCAN) coverage of Canada. This is the most up-to-date data from the USGS."

The Mapbuilder hybrid works fine, on a computer screen, but I find it difficult to read in printed format as it's on a darker background.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 24 Oct, 2019 03:21 AM

We called that the "Scanned 7.5' Map" in our application. Same USGS and NRCAN data set all pieced together.

Best,
    Ben

6. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 03:21 AM.

7. Marcus re-opened this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 03:40 AM

8. 4 Posted by Marcus on 24 Oct, 2019 03:40 AM

That's what I ended up using. But the 7.5' maps in Caltopo are fairly old scans vs the much more recent USGS vector maps in Gaia.

Anyway, I got my map printed, so all is well. But it would be great to have access to those more recent vector maps in Caltopo too.

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ben Lantow on 24 Oct, 2019 04:48 PM

You're correct that the USGS maps in CalTopo are 7.5' scans. I'll look into adding USGS vector maps.

Best,
    Ben

10. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 04:48 PM.

11. Marcus re-opened this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 10:48 PM

12. 6 Posted by Marcus on 24 Oct, 2019 10:48 PM

That would be excellent!

Thanks,
    Marcus

13. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 25 Oct, 2019 04:24 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac