What happened to the Canadian layers?

jeff.mcwilliams

30 Jul, 2019 04:41 PM

Pro user for years here. I just noticed that the two canadian layers no longer seem to be available. One was called CanMatrix. Not sure what the other one was called.

The Scanned 7.5' layer provides some coverage but I often found the different layers complimentary in terms of information.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rmarcucci on 30 Jul, 2019 04:57 PM

Jeff,

We fully expanded Mapbuilder to Canada, and the USGS 7.5' (now renamed "Scanned Topos") layer covers Canada as well, so we slimmed down the available options, since having too many layers can be confusing. The old "CanMatrix" layer is now entirely duplicative of the scanned topos layer. Looking at NRCAN, We did not think it offered anything beyond what was found between MapBuilder (itself based on OpenStreetMap) and the traditional government topos. If you go to Add New Layer -> Add Custom Source and choose "NR Canada" from the prefill dropdown, you can add it back as a custom layer.

We've had a few requests asking where it has gone. I'm curious if this is just a familiarity issue, or if there is a feature set we are missing in the new layers from NRCAN.

Thank you for using CalTopo,
    Rom

2. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 30 Jul, 2019 04:57 PM.

3. jeff.mcwilliams re-opened this discussion on 31 Jul, 2019 11:15 AM

4. 2 Posted by jeff.mcwilliams on 31 Jul, 2019 11:15 AM

Rom,

I see that now. Comparing NR Canada to what's in the Scanned Topos layer, it does not appear that anything is being missed in the few areas I am familiar with around Mt Assiniboine, BC and Pukaskwa NP in Ontario.

Thanks

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by rmarcucci on 31 Jul, 2019 04:25 PM

Jeff,

Thank you for the feedback, we apprecaite it!

Rom

6. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 31 Jul, 2019 04:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac