Elevation / DEM Shading

Doug

10 May, 2019 11:02 PM

I'm interested in utilizing DEM shading to for elevation changes in an area I frequent that is low-lying / flood prone. As an example, a 20' contour interval on a 7.5 min topo is useless.

The area is between 190' - 215' and a single foot or two can impact flood conditions. Is there a way to use DEM shading to determine 1-2' interval changes. You would not be able to notice on topo, but the shading would reveal true elevations?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 11 May, 2019 02:51 AM

You can use DEM shading to highlight narrow elevation ranges, but the underlying data is stored as integer meters, so you're only going to get 3' steps. Depending on the location, it may not truly be accurate to 1 meter of precision, anyway.

2. 2 Posted by Doug Pierce on 11 May, 2019 12:18 PM

Thanks Matt. If I’m trying to determine that level, should I set in three
    foot increments with the color.

Example 190-193’, 194-196’, 197-200’ etc!

Give it’s three feet, would that work?

Sent from my iPhone

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 12 May, 2019 06:05 PM

I think so. You can use the cursor elevation shown at the top right (or the center elevation, if you set that via the config menu) to see what the right increments are, ie which numbers correspond to whole meters.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac