Canada 1:20,000 no longer available?

Evan Stevens

06 Apr, 2019 07:15 PM

Just wondering, seems lke in the last two weeks we no longer have access to the seamless 1:20,000 TRIM layer for BC? It has now reverted to 1:50,000?
Anybody know anything about this?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 06 Apr, 2019 08:23 PM

The map layer was re-rendered to include all of Canada rather than just portions of the country, and as part of that effort, NRCAN data was used nationwide. We are working on improving the MapBuilder layer for Canada to help offset this change - all the pieces are in place except vegetation shading, which will be added once the USGS releases its 2016 National Land Cover Dataset (was supposed to have been available in early 2019, but was delayed due to the shutdown).

2. 2 Posted by Evan Stevens on 06 Apr, 2019 08:29 PM

Ok. But if I can throw my 2 cents in as a very avid user of the product...the previous data for BC was amazing because it was the exact TRIM map data we would all use on our print outs/government maps, so you could seamlessly look at your digital copy and hard copy map of what many folks already own. Secondly would be this mapbuilder layer is in FEET not Meters...which is not ideal. I really appreciate the hardwork you guys do on Caltopo and your fast response!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 08 Apr, 2019 07:14 PM

With a pro account, you can create custom MapBuilder layers built off meters instead of feet. I've been waiting on the NLCD data so I can do Canada in one go, but the plan is to switch from feet to meters at (or at least near) the border for the default MapBuilder Topo layer as well.

I understand your feedback and can't get into details, but BCTopo maps cannot be included for licensing reasons.

4. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2019 04:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac