Mapbuilder Topo - road/trail legend?

Will

11 Mar, 2019 12:15 AM

Apologies in advance for something that is likely simple/obvious, but I've searched for quite a while and can't find the answer.

When working with the Mapbuilder Topo base layer, where can one find a legend for what all the road/trail types are?

Attached is a sample area. It includes solid black line, dotted black line, dotted red line...and independent of these line styles, some are highlighted yellow.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by kobe.pole on 12 Mar, 2019 04:05 PM

Hi Will,
    There isn't a legend at the moment. Solid black lines are paved roads, dashed black lines are dirt roads, and dashed red lines are trails.
    -Kobe

2. 2 Posted by Will on 12 Mar, 2019 04:26 PM

Thanks for the info.

In the area I'm currently in (Moab), and presumably others - "dirt road" varies tremendously. I've checked out several in the last couple of days. Some are smooth as glass and two lanes wide, suitable for use by even large motorhomes. At the other extreme, others take effort to even see, and may include deep water crossings, rock shelves that are 18-24" high and are suitable only for modified 4WD rigs.

I'm not complaining, but curious. Are there any plans to delineate further the complexity/difficulty of dirt roads in the Mapbuilder Topo base map? And if so...from where would such data be sourced?

That last one is important, as if I start sharing details I've found while riding these roads - I'd like to do so in a place where the information can be pulled from freely.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 13 Mar, 2019 02:41 AM

All of the road and trail data comes from the open-source, user-editable OpenStreetMap project. Because backcountry recreation isn't OSM's primary purpose, there isn't a great delineation between easily and poorly accessible roads, but there are several ways to tag them that CalTopo will pick up on.

The MapBuilder layer will show shorter dashes for OSM roads that are tagged with "smoothness" as "horrible" or above, or "tracktype" as "grade4" or "grade5".

Most roads in the database aren't tagged with either of those attributes, but one reason for adopting the new shorter-dash styling was to encourage more user contributions and eventually improve the database. CalTopo picks up a new copy of the OSM data once every several months.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screenshot_2019-03-10_at_6.10.35_PM.png 1.67 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac