I want to make a high resolution large format printable wall map...can i do that with CalTopo

kehlers

03 Feb, 2019 10:12 PM

Hello,

1. I've just found Caltopo and am excited, but dont yet know what my limitations are. I live in western colorado and want to create a high resolution map with the level of detail that I get when I zoom in far enough on the maps online. Can I do that with Caltopo? I would like a large map that could be as big as 4' tall by 8' wide (approx.) that shows the terrain relief (color version found in Google category or similar), land management, transportation (roads/railaroad/trails), towns, points of interest, and waterways. The rough boundaries of the map would be Interstate 25 (in eastern colorado) for the east boundary, the west border of State of Utah for the west boundary, Interstate 80 (in wyoming) as the north boundary, and either the Grand Canyon or Interstate 40 as the south boundary. The boundaries are flexible to fit an appropriate large format paper size as needed but that is the general map I am looking for. Is this possible with CalTopo?

2. I also would like to create another large wall map with detailed information of terrain, access roads and trails for bicycles, dirt bikes, OHV, and hiking, along with land management and recreation areas within the boundaries of I-70 as the north boundary, Crescent Junction Utah as the west boundary, Vega Reservoir in Colorado as east boundary, and moab utah as the south boundary. Is this possible with Caltopo?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 04 Feb, 2019 10:03 PM

The PDF generator is limited to 48x48" PDFs, so you'd need to assemble multiple maps together or scale them from 200dpi to 100dpi (noticeable up close, but not from a distance).

With the exception of some MapBuilder customizations, the layers are the same regardless of whether you've signed up or not, so you can play with what's available at an 8.5x11 size.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac