Icons

Landon

01 Jan, 2019 12:25 AM

Looking for URL's to assign icons in the Marker window.
Kobe, this is for Rob at WBC, thanks

1. 1 Posted by Rob Labs on 01 Jan, 2019 12:46 AM

From another thread on CalTopo — http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/maps/1298-sourcing-usgs-nps-and...

Landon asked

I am having difficulty finding a site that has downloadable icons used by USGS, NPS, and USFS, any suggestions?

The Federal agencies publish icons in various formats

NPS Symbol Library

USFS FSTopo Fonts

• The USFS has packaged all of their symbols as Fonts
    • This is way tricker to use than raw SVG's.
      • I have been successful in annotating PDFs with these Fonts, but you'll have to figure out the mapping between your keyboard and the FSFonts.

fsfonts

USGS

• The USGS has excellent tech support and a nationwide Map Liaison team. I think a well round of discussions with them to encourage open source of their icons would be great. I would love to get a symbology for dry lake, or wash or spring for use maps.
    • I am still looking for good published SVG vector fonts. SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics.
    • In the meantime, I am doing microsurgey on raw PDFs to extract my own SVGs.
  2. 2 Posted by Fredrick on 06 Feb, 2019 12:53 AM

Is there a cross-reference table for the standard icon images / text names / typical uses on USGS (or other) maps?

3. 3 Posted by Fredrick on 06 Feb, 2019 01:24 AM

Alternatively, is there a future plan to create 'mouse-over' text, so that icons would be identifiable at the time of selection?

For an example of this, you can see the NPS icon page:
    https://www.nps.gov/maps/tools/symbol-library

i.e., from the source code of above example page
    winter-recreation-area symbol winter-recreation-area symbol

4. 4 Posted by Fredrick on 06 Feb, 2019 01:50 AM

With the current icon options, you can selected the color for many of the icons.

For the 'Custom Icons' is there an image file format that one can create / upload for an URL that will allow colors to be assigned?

i.e., This NPS image is in "SVG" format winter-recreation-area symbol
    Currently it will only appear as the black color that it is uploaded as and cannot be changed to blue, red, etc.

I have also tried .png, .pcx and, .bmp file types, which often allow color interchangeability in other applications, but not here.

Note, that the .png file type does allow a transparent background.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 07 Feb, 2019 05:09 AM

We are working on redoing the icon set and making more of them colorable.

For custom icons, with a pro account you can save icons to your account (instead of entering the URL each time in the marker selection dialog) and when you do that you can flag them as being colorable and/or rotatable. However the coloring doesn't work great on icons with partial transparency.

6. 6 Posted by Fredrick on 07 Feb, 2019 06:24 AM

@Matt;
    Thank you. You are awesome as always.

I have uploaded a few to my account, which you are welcome to share with the community and/or I can send you a link for them. If there is a way for me to upload them to a common library, I would happily do that as well.

SAR - Initial Planning Point
    SAR - Last Known Position
    SAR - Personal Locator Beacon (I recommend uploading this with 'rotation' as an option.)
    SAR - Point Last Seen
    USGS - Hot Spring
    USGS - Trailhead
    USGS - Winter Recreation Area

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by matt on 11 Feb, 2019 03:50 AM

There isn't any kind of common sharing location at this point.

The TH and snowflake symbols will most likely get included, they area already part of the NPS symbol set and we will be importing some of those, or re-stylized variants.

There are no plans to add the IPP/LKP/PLS symbols, but we do plan to expand on the current 1-or-2-letter-in-circle icon, so that you could easily recreate those symbols by entering IPP etc.

8. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2019 04:24 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac