Map Source of FSTopo 2016 Layer/Basemap?

Derek Hildreth

09 Dec, 2018 11:32 PM

I love the look of the FSTopo 2016 basemap. I'm looking at printing a very large poster (using QGIS), and I'd love to import that FSTopo 2016 layer (as XYZ/tiles or similar). Is there a REST API server or something I can point QGIS to in order to use this map for printing?

Thanks for any help in advance!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 10 Dec, 2018 06:58 PM

With a pro account ($50/yr), you get access to a WMTS endpoint for most of CalTopo's layers that QGIS should be able to ingest: http://caltopo.blogspot.com/2015/12/wms-and-wmts-using-caltopo-laye...

2. 2 Posted by Derek Hildreth on 10 Dec, 2018 09:45 PM

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I simply do not use the software enough out of the year to justify buying a pro account (even though I want to support this wonderful software). I was hoping you were using a free third-party resource api for the FSTopo 2016 basemap and that it wasn't part of the Caltopo maps.

For example, it looks like (similar, not 100%) the FSTopo (2013) map references this public map server from usda.gov:
    https://apps.fs.usda.gov/arcx/rest/services/EDW/EDW_FSTopo_01/MapServer

Anyways, I'm sure you understood what I was asking. Thanks again! I'll just have to live without.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 10 Dec, 2018 10:13 PM

You may be able to find one, but the layer used in CalTopo was created by manually assembling a tileset from the 7.5 minute PDFs the USFS makes available.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac