Canadian datasets

Sheldon H.

22 Aug, 2018 04:51 PM

A question about the Canadian datasets used in Caltopo.
At present, when you select USGS 7.5' Topo Maps, CalTopo displays the map that I have attached. I'm trying to figure out what the source data for this map is, as I can't find map data that looks like this from other Canadian sources.
As well, when you look at the attached file, it is clear that the data set is being updated updated (for some regions in Ontario at any rate). The new maps look fantastic, and I'm hoping that the rest of the province/country will receive the same rendering. Do you know if this is the case?
Thanks for any insights that you may have,
Sheldon

1. 1 Posted by Sheldon H. on 22 Aug, 2018 05:24 PM

It looks like most of British Columbia is updated, some of the prairies - Winnipeg for example - but not much of the eastern provinces - some patches of Nova Scotia.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by matt on 24 Aug, 2018 05:57 PM

I don't have great records from when when that layer was built, and NRCAN has enough different map layers that it's easy to get turned around, so I can't comment on that spot specifically, but it's one of the layers available at ftp.geogratis.gc.ca/pub/nrcan_rncan/raster/

My best understanding is that the "modernized" layer is not seeing active development at this point, and although it looks sharper, it's lacking some of older / more obscure roads and trails from rural areas. I'm actually looking at replacing all of Canada with the older map series (to capture these more obscure features) while also expanding MapBuilder coverage (to provide sharper rendering and modern OSM-derived road/trail data), which I think will provide a better mix. It's in progress but no ETA.

3. 3 Posted by Sheldon H. on 27 Aug, 2018 10:50 AM

Thanks, Matt. Appreciate your insights and work you are doing on this great product.
    Cheers,
    Sheldon

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Huron.jpg 164 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac