Land Cover in DEM shading?

Keith D.

03 Aug, 2018 04:41 PM

I would like to apply DEM shading to the Land Cover information. Is this something which could be added at some point?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 04 Aug, 2018 02:25 AM

It's not something I see adding. The issue being that the the UI and rendering code is built around handling value ranges, which works well for the existing DEM sources, but the NLCD uses essentially random numbers. There's certainly no way to do a color gradient, and even shading all impervious surfaces with a certain color would take some work.

It's turned off at the moment, but I do have code that displays a layer colored by NLCD values, with no customization options.

2. 2 Posted by Keith D. on 04 Aug, 2018 01:58 PM

Interesting, that makes sense why it wouldn’t work in the DEM layer.

I guess I wasn’t even considering using gradients, just symbolizing select landcover types with a specific color. For example, shading grassland as light green in order to better distinguish it from rock, which sometimes appears a similar shade of brown on sat photos. You do already give us plenty of ways to get that kind of information, though!

Thanks for the response!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 04 Aug, 2018 03:31 PM

If that's a goal then definitely take a look at the false-color IR layer, which does a great job differentiating things that are alive from things that just look a similar color.

4. 4 Posted by Keith D. on 07 Aug, 2018 09:45 PM

Thanks - I'd forgotten about that layer!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac