local fire

Eric rokahr

26 Aug, 2020 04:55 PM

Hi What a terrific company you have.
Im a senior, probably won't use after a few days fixed income. I have some friends that live in the czu fire zone in Santa Cruz .I'm trying to share information with them as far as the heat zones I I'm trying to use the free version hopefully the fire will be out in a few days.
 I can't really tell what day it is on your pages. Nor back page to from global view to see if that helps.
Will the free version provide this for me or do I need to subscribe. Word of mouth is getting out your gonna grow fast, no other app comes close. Actually your app wasn't optimized for my device galaxy 2019 10.1 tab A t515 (not installed) thanks for any input

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 26 Aug, 2020 06:14 PM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the kind words! If you are referring to the Fire Activity overlay, this is available to all users, including free. In this overlay, each dot represents a hotspot detection and color indicates the age of the fire. Clicking on the blue Fire Info in the dropdown layer menu below Fire Activity will bring up a color key for fire age. Each hotspot is also labeled with the date and time of detection as well as the satellite (please see first attached screenshot). If you are zoomed way out, the date and time will not be visible- you may need to zoom in for these to be displayed.

More information on the Fire Activity overlay can be found here: https://caltopo.com/about/2020/08/20/summer-wildfires/

If you are referring to the GOES 17 Live Fire Detection overlay that we just launched, the time stamp is clearly visible on the map and is updated about every 8 minutes (please see second attached screenshot). More information on this new experimental overlay can be found here: https://caltopo.com/about/2020/08/24/goes-live-fire-detection-layer/

And in terms of the app not being optimized for your device, did you try downloading and using the CalTopo Android app? That is the platform that is meant to be used on mobile devices, including tablets.

Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 26 Aug, 2020 06:14 PM.

3. Erickson almondroka re-opened this discussion on 26 Aug, 2020 06:28 PM

4. 2 Posted by Erickson almond... on 26 Aug, 2020 06:28 PM

Thanks very cool and appreciated

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan on 26 Aug, 2020 06:34 PM

You're welcome!

Happy mapping,
    Meghan

6. Meghan closed this discussion on 26 Aug, 2020 06:34 PM.

7. Erickson almondroka re-opened this discussion on 26 Aug, 2020 07:20 PM

8. 4 Posted by Erickson almond... on 26 Aug, 2020 07:20 PM

Hi again Meghan
     I was referring to the dots on the VIIRS
    Thanks

9. 5 Posted by Erickson almond... on 26 Aug, 2020 07:22 PM

When I tap the the viirs satellite

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Meghan on 26 Aug, 2020 07:32 PM

That particular selection won't display a date/time but clicking on the blue Fire Info underneath the Fire Activity overlay in the dropdown layer menu will show you what the colors represent in terms of the time (in hours or days) since detection (please see the screenshot below),

Best,
    Meghan

11. Meghan closed this discussion on 26 Aug, 2020 07:32 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac