Trail Tech Voyager Pro

akunin

29 Jun, 2020 06:22 PM

I've been trying to add MVUM Forest Service maps to my Voyager Pro. The VP uses gpx so I've tried to download via kmz and then convert to gpx but the real issue is trying to just extract the MVUM trails. Is just extracting the MVUM overlays not possible?

Any help is appreciated!

1. 1 Posted by akunin on 29 Jun, 2020 07:44 PM

To further explain what I'm trying to do is get the VP to display the MVUM since it shows trail numbers, if the trail is for highway vehicles, motorcycle only... etc and all that info in a glance is what I miss most between this and my Garmin. So far I've been only able to "draw" routes and such but to be able to have the MVUM or even parts of it.

I've only got a basic account with caltopo (if this works.. upgrade!) so I'm limited by the kmz I can download to 256 tiles, again assuming that's how I'm going to get a selected area to download to a kmz then convert to a gpx. And here is where I am stuck. Doesn't matter how small I make the selection area after I convert to a gpx I end up with a 1kb file which of course doesn't work. I'm up for any ideas!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Julie on 29 Jun, 2020 10:54 PM

Hi there,

We've been working with TrailTech on some neat projects, we may have a better solution at some point. Right now we don't have the MVUM overlay packaged for download at all, even for our own app. We hope to have that ready to share in the coming months. In the meantime, all you can really do is draw the lines you want as lines in CalTopo, color them as you wish, then export those. Is there some reason you aren't exporting straight to GPX? You can do that from the export menu.

Best,
    Julie

3. Julie closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2020 10:54 PM.

4. akunin re-opened this discussion on 29 Jun, 2020 11:59 PM

5. 3 Posted by akunin on 29 Jun, 2020 11:59 PM

Hello there
    Is this from some kind of script? Same thing was said to Ben back in May regarding a PDF issue...

"Hi there,
    We've been working with trailtech on some neat projects, we may have a better solution at some point. "

and in the coming months? Is there a more exact time to expect such a feature? I ask because back in Sept of last year this was announced as being a few weeks out

"The layer hasn’t been packaged for download yet, we wanted to look for errors or bugs with it online for 1-2 weeks first, then we will package it for download"

https://caltopo.com/about/2019/09/11/motor-vehicle-layer-2/

Thank you! This is perhaps the biggest feature i've been waiting to get a subscription for so all the information leading to its release (even info regarding delays) is appreciated!

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Meghan on 30 Jun, 2020 02:49 PM

We are really excited about having the MVUM packaged for download too! Currently it is next up on our list of development priorities but unfortunately we don't have an exact timeline. Please know that we are working hard to deal with bugs as they arise and add new features. Thank you for your patience as we get new partnerships rolling and new features added! We will make an announcement when this feature is live so keep an eye on our social media and blog for that.

Best,
    Meghan

7. Meghan closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2020 02:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac