Importing GPX data to mobile (iOS) app

Alan Heezen

23 Jun, 2020 10:46 PM

I would like to be able to copy a GPX file from my a different GPS tracking app in the field, i.e., with no use of CalTopo.com, and ideally with no Internet connection. Is there any way to do this?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 24 Jun, 2020 04:11 PM

Hi Alan,

Thanks for reaching out! I believe you are asking how to import a gpx file into the mobile app. As long as the gpx file from your GPS tracking app or device is saved to your mobile device, you can upload it onto the CalTopo mobile app by selecting the folder icon (middle of the upper menu). This will open your map items and then simply click the up arrow icon to import the gpx file into your map.

I hope this helps answer your question- if not, please provide a little more detail about what you hope to accomplish and we can go from there.

Best,
    Meghan

2. Meghan closed this discussion on 24 Jun, 2020 04:11 PM.

3. Alan Heezen re-opened this discussion on 24 Jun, 2020 06:35 PM

4. 2 Posted by Alan Heezen on 24 Jun, 2020 06:35 PM

Thanks, seems to work. BTW some of your “buttons” are so tiny that they border on invisible.
    Al

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 24 Jun, 2020 06:36 PM

Thanks for your response,
    What buttons are you seeing as tiny? Can you include a screen shot and the type of device you're using?

Best,
    Ben

6. 4 Posted by Alan Heezen on 24 Jun, 2020 11:15 PM

Hi Ben

These screenshots are from my iPhone Xr.

The first screen that tricked me was this one - mostly empty, with only one prominent feature - the "+Add Map" Item. I missed the up-arrow icon (which I probably wouldn't have seen as an "import" button anyway) since "adding a map item" seemed like just the ticket. Not really a matter of tinyness, rather of distraction and Ikea-like hyper-iconization.

Here's the really tiny one - I missed the "Import" button entirely the first couple of times, perhaps because the checkmarks on my stuff gave me a false sense of completion

These aren't buttons either, but the info in the upper right and lower left corners is essentially unreadable if there is much detail in the underlying map. I understand why you went with transparency here, but I don't think it is your friend, after all.

Also the little thing with 4 dots in the lower right has two issues: 1) I had to resort to calling it "the little thing with 4 dots" because it suggests nothing to me (I just happened to tap it out of idle curiosity) 2) It brings up 3 completely unrelated items (which may be why it was hard to choose an meaningful icon)

And last but not least, your track lengths run quite a bit high, especially when hiking in the mountains, unless the "Record Track Detail" is set to low (which gives pretty terrible-looking tracks). This is a defect shared with all of the App Store apps I've tried, including GaiaGPS and AllTrails and others I forgotten about, and even my Garmin 62stc handheld. A few years ago had a six-month go-round with Garmin about this, but about the time an engineer acknowledged that they had a problem (which contradicted their very expensive ad campaign) they stopped returning my calls. I also couldn't get REI to do anything about it.

It doesn't have an obvious, simple solution but I have gone to the extreme of learning to program in iOS in order to write my own app and test my sorta-simple but non-obvious solution, which is going quite well IMHO at basic tracking. We could discuss this if you're interested. I'm not sure I have the energy (or even the remaining lifespan) to learn MapKit and Core Data and what all, so it would be nice to make yours into an all-purpose app.

Al Heezen

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Meghan on 25 Jun, 2020 07:00 PM

Al,

Thank you so much for your feedback on the mobile app. I have logged this onto our development board for further research and development. We are working hard to add new features to the application. To facilitate tracking requests and duplicates, I'm going to close this ticket, but be assured we're working on it! If anyone has any similar feedback or observations to share, please comment here to reopen the thread.

Thank you,
    Meghan

8. Meghan closed this discussion on 25 Jun, 2020 07:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac