gpx file

KYLE

27 Apr, 2020 07:52 PM

im unable to save gpx file to my Microsoft surface when using caltopo

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 27 Apr, 2020 07:53 PM

It looks like instead of hitting "save" you hit "open" and your computer doesn't know how to handle the file. Can you go back and try again and ensure you hit "save" for that file?

Best,
    Ben

2. 2 Posted by Kyleendres on 27 Apr, 2020 08:02 PM

There is no save option that I can see:
    I’m going to export , download file, gpx

Best regards,
    Kyle Endres

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 28 Apr, 2020 02:54 PM

Hi Kyle,
    Tried replicating on a number of machines and was unable to do so. It sounds like a local machine configuration issue, your computer thinks you want GPX "opened" instead of "saved". Does it give you a prompt on where you want to save the file when you hit export? If it doesn't it is likely just saving it to a temp cache and trying to open it from that location.

You'll have to work with your individual browser/PC settings to give you the option of save or open GPX files, save the file instead of trying to open it, and then you can save it to a location on your drive for your uses.

Best,
    Ben

4. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 28 Apr, 2020 02:54 PM.

5. rmarcucci re-opened this discussion on 16 May, 2020 05:37 PM

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by rmarcucci on 16 May, 2020 05:37 PM

Ben and Kyle,

I"m going to reopen this discussion, so we have all the info in one place. Kyle still is unable to open a gpx file on his surface and is requesting additional guidance.

Thank you,
    Rom

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ben Lantow on 20 May, 2020 02:26 PM

Hi Kyle,
    Unfortunately this isn't an issue with our software. It is a setting on your computer where you have set GPX files to automatically open and not to save. I know the setting exists and believe it is a file system setting, but I don't own a microsoft machine and am unsure what browser you are using. I would try a quick google of "Allow to save instead of just open with Windows and XXXX browser". You'll find the answer there.

Best,
    Ben

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screenshot_(20).png 1.56 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac