Tips on usage of REST API

Joshua Turcotti

20 Apr, 2020 01:51 AM

Hi,

I've been trying to set up a small client to automatically pull gpx files from your servers given the 4 alphanumeric-digit TID of a public map. Is there an endpoint that would allow me to do this?

Thanks for your help,
Joshua Turcotti

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 20 Apr, 2020 08:27 PM

We don't support GPX generation via API calls.

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 20 Apr, 2020 08:27 PM.

3. Ben Lantow re-opened this discussion on 20 Apr, 2020 08:28 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ben Lantow on 20 Apr, 2020 08:28 PM

Out of curiosity what is the specific use case for this? We haven't discussed doing this at all either.

5. 3 Posted by Joshua Turcotti on 20 Apr, 2020 08:37 PM

I wanted to scrape through all public maps to pull all GPX features in a certain area and merge them into a master map of that area containing all features Caltopo users have uploaded publically. I was only able to find the /rest/out endpoint for the API, which seemed to only format pre-existing GPX data provided in the 'state' parameter into a file download. Is there any API call that will respond with features of a map given its public URL?

Thanks

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ben Lantow on 20 Apr, 2020 10:10 PM

While I applaud your innovation and desire to do something different, this is not a use case we can support. There are a number of things in the background that would make this difficult including the fact we generate GPX on the fly for maps when requested and we do some IP based rate limiting so that people cannot just iterate 4 character map codes.

This also is a violation of our terms of use:
    Make any automated use of the system, or take any action that we deem to impose or to potentially impose unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our (or our third-party providers’) servers, system and network infrastructures Found at: https://caltopo.com/about/terms-of-use/

Though to be clear, we aren't upset that you asked about it.

Best,
    Ben

7. 5 Posted by Joshua Turcotti on 21 Apr, 2020 12:51 AM

Sorry for not reading those more carefully! There are so many amazing community generated maps out there that people have decided to make public, but really only share peer to peer, it would be great to have some central index of them based on location! I'll be excited if such an index is every put into place.

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ben Lantow on 21 Apr, 2020 03:16 AM

The ToU are super dense, no worries. I think it's entirely possible that we may do that in the future when we start really building on our sharing features. I assume you know if you go to the overlay list and click on shared maps you can see a lot of shared information (at least the tracks and markers).

Best,
    Ben

9. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 28 Apr, 2020 04:28 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac