Is there a way for me to contact the owner of a public map?

RyanP

11 Apr, 2020 08:28 PM

Hello, I recently came across a Caltopo map that is publicly available (I found it using a Google search). Is there a way for me to contact the owner of the map? I was hoping to try to convince him/her to make that map private instead of public---for that particular route, I fear the consequences of overuse and public knowledge, both for the land's sake (tons of cryptobiotic soil, etc) and for the people hiking there

Thanks! I'm fairly new to Caltopo but I absolutely love it! Keep up the good work!

-Ryan

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 13 Apr, 2020 08:23 PM

Hi Ryan,
    Is there legal grounds for your claim? Is this a copyright, trespassing, or DMCA issue? Per our Terms of Use users represent that they have the rights to publish the content they create and display based on our software. If they misrepresented this we can take action including revoking accounts or removing maps.

However per our privacy policy outside of that, users have the right to create content, anonymously, or with their e-mail or name shown as owners of the map. I do not have the right to share that information with anyone. They can opt to make their e-mail visible, at which point of course you can have a conversation with the user.

Does that make sense?

Best,
    Ben

2. 2 Posted by RyanP on 15 Apr, 2020 05:26 AM

Yeah, that makes sense; thanks for the response.

3. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 15 Apr, 2020 02:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac