From the Caltopo app, is there a way to "split" a track, and/or delete part of a track?

Tom

11 Mar, 2020 12:50 AM

From the Caltopo app, is there a way to "split" a track, and/or delete part of a track?

I know about this https://help.caltopo.com/discussions/general/1618-i-want-to-remove-a-part-of-a-line-on-my-gps-track

(A friend who is a Guide told me he'd like this feature, and I'd also find it useful, although I can usually wait until I am back to the desktop browser-based CalTopo product.)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 11 Mar, 2020 04:43 AM

Tom -

Yes, by clicking on the line - the info window that comes up has a "split" option that will split the line where you clicked on it.

• Matt
  2. 2 Posted by Tom on 11 Mar, 2020 06:34 AM

Thanks!

3. 3 Posted by Tom on 11 Mar, 2020 03:10 PM

Thanks. UI/UX/Design feedback follows below.

To improve the user experience and usability of the track cropping and route cropping feature, it would be cool if a person using the CalTopo app could do something such as this:
    - Select a track or route
    - Select 'Edit", and see the track or route on the screen
    - While seeing the route on the screen, there are 2 buttons on the bottom of the screen ("Start from beginning", "Start from end")
    - The person can press either of the 2 buttons to select a point on the map from where they want to trim/crop/split the track or route, "starting from the beginning", or "starting from the end"

FYI: How another app does it. I much prefer the CalTopo app, and I think there are probably things to learn from folks who have used other apps. My buddy who is a Backcountry Guide has told me that for this feature they much prefer the UI UX of other apps.

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003638268-Crop-Your-Tracks

-

Adding Keywords: crop track, trim track, split track

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by rmarcucci on 11 Mar, 2020 04:29 PM

Tom,

Thank you so much for the UI feedback. I will forward this along to the developers.

All the best,
    Rom

5. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 11 Mar, 2020 04:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac