Caltopo App Route Creation

Jonathan Schwarz

26 Feb, 2020 05:36 PM

Is it possible to see your route (polyline) elevation profile WHILE you are drawing it? Or only afterwards?
Additionally, when creating a polyline - how can you delete the last vertex in the app? On the web version you can press ESC. Is there a similar shortcut in the app? Or do you have to restart the polyline?

1. 1 Posted by Jonathan Schwar... on 26 Feb, 2020 06:08 PM

1st image: Viewranger GPS has a handy little button at the bottom to either delete last waypoint (vertex) or complete the polyline/route.

2nd image: And then additionally showing the polyline elevation/distance profile as you are creating would be really handy as Gaia GPS does

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by rmarcucci on 26 Feb, 2020 10:55 PM

Hi Jonathon,

Those screenshots are taken from Gaia, unless I"m mistaken. You may want to contact their customer support for help with their app.
    With CalTopo, there is no way to see an elevation profile while drawing the line, my apologies. There is not an esc type back step in the app. I would highly recommend doing your route planning on the desktop. It syncs automatically with the app and is significantly easier to do on a computer.

All the best,
    Rom

3. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 26 Feb, 2020 10:55 PM.

4. Jonathan Schwarz re-opened this discussion on 26 Feb, 2020 11:02 PM

5. 3 Posted by Jonathan Schwar... on 26 Feb, 2020 11:02 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Yes, those images are from Gaia and Viewranger, as I specified :) I was sharing those as an example of what I was hoping to see in Caltopo :) Perhaps those could be feature requests? (Route elevation while creating route and deleting last vertex)

And yes, the route building is much more robust on the web version - but when I'm at a hut backcountry skiing and I dont have a laptop - being able to do the same in the app would be a boone.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by rmarcucci on 27 Feb, 2020 12:37 AM

Jonathon,

Apologies I didn't read the comments in the second post, I just took a glance and realized they weren't CalTopo. I understand what you were getting at now with those. I'll pass this info along to the development team as a suggested feature.

All the best,
    Rom

7. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 27 Feb, 2020 12:37 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac