Slow Map Generation With Large KMZ File

rick.cudd

17 Feb, 2020 12:02 AM

All,

Idaho has a wonderful arcgis system that the public has access to. https://trails.idaho.gov/

I have downloaded the KMZ file from their download page for ATV https://trails.idaho.gov/pages/kmzdownload.html (File attached)

The file is almost 4 MB. The issue I am seeing is that while the file does take time to upload once it seems to be in the system moving around in the map seems almost impossible. I am not sure if it is the way the file (KMZ) is constructed or maybe I need to do something different. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have a basic membership.

Rick

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rmarcucci on 17 Feb, 2020 02:53 AM

Rick,

KMZ is a super large file spec and not everything in that spec works with CalTopo. When this loads, it puts a bunch of html code in the label area, which I have a feeling is creating this glitch, but I'm going to kick this over for debugging. As an FYI, it may take a few days to hear back from them.

Thank you for reaching out,
    Rom

2. 2 Posted by rick.cudd on 17 Feb, 2020 03:42 PM

Thanks Rom, No worries about the time frame. Rick

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 20 Feb, 2020 05:24 PM

Hi Rick,
    I took a look at that file and there’s nothing wrong with the file, and it isn’t generating any errors on import or during that process. However it is an enormous file with a huge number of line objects that could be bogging down map loads. (And appears on my local install to be doing exactly that). I would suggest importing the features you need or are interested in specifically versus trying to pull down the entire dataset.

Best,
    Ben

4. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2020 06:21 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac