Account "Credentials?"

jscotangus

21 Sep, 2019 08:14 PM

What are the "credentials" on my Account for, and why does it seem like I can delete them? There's an ID, a description that says "system-generated" and then there a date created. What are these? Search for "Credentials" in Knowledge Base turned up zilch.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 25 Sep, 2019 04:30 PM

Sorry for the delay.

It maybe doesn't need that level of prominence in the UI, but every time you sync the phone app or the offline desktop version to caltopo.com, it creates a new private key identifying you. Whenever the app talks to caltopo.com, it uses this key to identify you so that we know the request is coming from someone with permission to modify a map, access account details, etc.

There is also a single system-generated key that is used to identify your account outside of the app for some premium features, like layer integration with Google Earth. If you delete that, a new one will be created next time you sign in.

The only reason you'd need to delete a credential is if you lost a phone and no longer wanted it to have access to your account. I'm sure at that point you'd have bigger worries than someone altering your CalTopo data, but that's why the feature is there.

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 30 Sep, 2019 04:19 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac