Loading KMZ Basemaps to Garmin Watches (fenix 5X)

Johnny Lomas

01 Jun, 2019 02:52 AM

Hello,

I really enjoyed your post about adding custom maps to garmin devices here:
http://help.caltopo.com/kb/gps/garmin-custom-maps

I have been unable to get KMZ files to load on my watch and I am wondering if the requirements are different on the watches than the larger GPS devices? Do you know how to get KMZs to load on garmin watches? Specifically the fenix 5x?

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 02 Jun, 2019 05:38 PM

I'm sorry but for detailed information you'd have to ask Garmin, I'm not very familiar with their watch lineup. It should be possible though, and I've verified in person using one of the Fenix models (not sure if it was a 5X or a 5S).

Take a look at https://blog.sb1.io/how-to-add-custom-maps-from-google-earth-to-a-g.... Skip everything except for the final "upload to GPS" part, but are you turning the layer on / does it show up in the list?

2. 2 Posted by Johnny Lomas on 04 Jun, 2019 01:47 AM

Thanks for your response.
    I can get the KMZ to appear in the custom maps folder on the watch but simply can't get it to show up when I turn it on. Yes, I was working off of that blog post as well but he only loaded a small image and I couldn't get the resolution I wanted for larger maps using his method.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 04 Jun, 2019 10:43 PM

To clarify - were you able to generate a KMZ using his method and have it show up on the watch? If you can get a different KMZ to show up on your watch, you should be able to get the CalTopo KMZ to show up as well.

4. System closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2019 04:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac