Garmin custom maps

davidwlitke

26 Mar, 2019 08:08 PM

I'm trying to learn about kmz files constructed for Garmins, and can't find much specific info. I have some basic questions such as:
1) What is the difference between images and tiles?
2) Are tiles created for multiple zoom levels? If not, does Garmin resample detailed tiles for zoomed out views?
3) My Garmin eTrex 20 has limited processing power; is there a recommended upper limit for the size of kmz files which can be efficiently displayed?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 28 Mar, 2019 06:51 PM

Web maps like CalTopo's are traditionally broken up into 256x256 pixel tiles; this is the size used for MBTiles exports (which are accessible on the same page). Garmin places limits on the number of images you can have in a KMZ file, and each image can be up to 1024x1024 pixels - since the page is used for both KMZ and MBTiles, it will show your download as X images and 16*X tiles.

KMZs do not support multiple zoom levels, Garmin will resample up to a certain point but stop showing the layer if you zoom too far in/out.

Garmin limits you to 100 images, don't know if there is a correlation below that between performance and # of images loaded.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac