Cardinal rose, declination diagram, grid squares?

Michael Grubb

27 Nov, 2018 09:40 PM

Hi everyone,

I use CalTopo for hiking and hunting and love it, for safety and because sometimes I like to be old school I always carry a compass and protractor with me. But, I find it difficult to use with the printed Cal Topo maps, since the scale is not always clear and there is no declination diagram.

Is there any way to add a true/magnetic north icon, declination information, or scale to the map? This way I can navigate with a compass efficiently, especially if I get tired and need to use dead reckoning. Alternatively anyway to add MGRS grid overlay?

Note: My typical overlay is Google satellite as base layer and the USGS 7.5 topo map at ~15% opacity, this is for hunting, for hiking I don't use any satellite imagery.

I Appreciate all the help!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 28 Nov, 2018 12:31 AM

PDFs generated from CalTopo (Print -> Print to PDF) include a scale bar and declination arrow at the bottom of the map, plus the option for an MGRS grid. You can't include satellite imagery with Google's level of detail, but you can add the NAIP Imagery layer.

Since you're using google satellite, I assume you're generating a screenshot or using your browser to print directly from the map viewer, in which case there's no way to get any of those added.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac