Using geospatial images from local drive or Google Drive

jsassojr

01 Nov, 2018 08:04 PM

I want to leverage caltopo's feature of adding a geospatial image layer but it requires one to specify the URL of the image (a JPEG file). My problem is that such an image will come from either my local disk or a network drive, OR from my Google Drive. In the case of the latter, I made the file shareable and accessible to all, then entered the shareable link in caltopo, but when I click Set, just a rectangular outline appears, but no image. Mind you, the shareable link has no .jpg extension

How can I get caltopo to access images from where I have them stored? These are portions of images we take a snapshot of from a website (e.g. a parcel of land in a county's GIS viewer), and want to overlay into Caltopo for further analysis. Specifying a URL seems very limiting. Thanks!

--john

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 05 Nov, 2018 04:34 AM

It requires a little more work / knowledge to get set up, but the best option is probably an Amazon S3 bucket setup for website hosting. You do have to sign up with a credit card and pay but it should be trivially small, ie on the order of $1 / month.

2. 2 Posted by craig.billie on 11 Nov, 2018 03:13 PM

I've run into the same issue trying to use things from google drive. I found one of the maps I wanted to overlay on a public FB page, and when I used that URL, the image did show up on my underlying map. But... nothing else in the "Add Geospatial Image" dialog box seems to work! Toggling the opacity does nothing, and right clicking on the map to set a georeference point only brings up the original map options of new, measure and point info. Has anybody else run into this? Nothing I've tried gets me past just getting the image to appear. Using Chrome but I've also tried it in IE with the same results.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac