Folder Management

Steve Thompson

01 Apr, 2018 11:56 PM

I was hoping someone can give me some tips on managing large number of tracks and routes. I have been accumulating tracks and routes for several years within CalTopo. At first i started setting up folders for each region of Colorado (by mountain range, or wilderness area, etc.). But I am finding now that might not be ideal - because when i open the map, or create a track, i have to go to the specific folder and it seems to create more trouble than it is worth. What are others doing? Just a single "My Trails" folder as suggested in some of the CalTopo support articles? Separate folders based on region? Other suggestions?

Your help is much appreciated!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 02 Apr, 2018 03:32 AM

Is there a reason you want everything on the same map? Unless that's required, I'd start by creating a new map for each region (or activity, or whatever)? Then you can use folders to subdivide from there.

2. 2 Posted by Ken A on 12 Nov, 2018 10:05 PM

I too have a search that has years worth of data. (Case is still open and being worked seasonally)
    I would create a folder for each day or operation but I need to have all historical data available.
    My frustration is I need to be able to toggle on/off an individual track as needed but the system limits me to an entire folder. Now it becomes very difficult to maintain the data and the ability to view only what is required.

The ability to toggle on/off an individual track within a folder would be a HUGE advantage !

Is this a plausible idea to be submitted for an added feature ?

Thank you.

3. 3 Posted by Adam Kelly on 13 Nov, 2018 02:05 AM

Ken this is already a feature. In your config panel go to visibility by item and not folder... Or am I missing the point entirely and we are talking about visibility on the sidebar and not the map itself?

4. 4 Posted by Ken Anderson on 13 Nov, 2018 03:44 AM

Mr Kelly,

I was not aware of this setting.

This will be extremely helpful !

I have only been using this for a few months and it takes a while to get
    use to a new package.

Thank you very much for your response.

Ken Anderson
    Emergency Support Services
    Technical Search & Rescue
    612-827-7141
    [email blocked]
    www.esssar.org

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 19 Nov, 2018 04:17 AM

This sounds resolved but if you need additional help / info let me know.

6. matt closed this discussion on 19 Nov, 2018 04:17 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac