Caltopo PDF/prints copyright.

Bill Hensley

21 Mar, 2018 08:59 PM

I used CalTopo with a GPX I drew over a CalTopo map to generate a PDF map. The layer used (upper right corner) is USGS 7.5.

I sent the map off to have a couple copies printed for my crew of Girl Scouts to use while taking the hike. I used FedEx Office.

I got a little pushback that they were concerned that the CalTopo map print might be violating copyright. They wanted to see a copyright release from CalTopo. I searched this forum and only found one question and response (http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/general/69-copyright).

I don't think I'm in legal trouble here, since the maps are being used for a private purpose, no $$$ is involved, etc., but I would like to suggest that CalTopo provide a copyright release or something indicating that only public domain is involved, if that is indeed the case.

Thanks!

Cheers, Bill

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 22 Mar, 2018 04:31 PM

I can try to add something like that, but it won't be on the PDF itself, not willing to sacrifice map / footer space to fit something like that. It's also complicated by the variety of map sources I use, including the ability for users to add custom layers - it's not hard to print a PDF on CalTopo using a 3rd party copyrighted source if you try.

So any statement might involve enough hedging that they wouldn't be totally happy with it.

But yes, you are totally in the clear getting USGS, USFS, NAIP or MapBuilder maps printed ad FedEx.

2. 2 Posted by Bill Hensley on 22 Mar, 2018 06:32 PM

3. matt closed this discussion on 23 Mar, 2018 05:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac