Volcanic Ash

Peter

27 Nov, 2017 09:09 PM

I recently noticed that Flight Radar 24 includes volcanic ash advisories. The data comes from Volcanic Ash Advisory Centers, part of the International Civil Aviation Organization.

Mapping ash plumes is probably more useful for aviators than backcountry travelers, but this might be a neat addition to CalTopo, particularly for the disaster response crowd. CalTopo's fire and smoke mapping proved useful in the recent Napa/Sonoma fires. I imagine that integrating volcano ash could prove equally useful in a response to that kind of disaster.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 01 Dec, 2017 12:20 AM

Thanks. I'll tuck it away as something to think about, but given the relatively limited applicability, I can't see integrating it in the near term. If there were a unified KML file covering all all advisories it would be pretty straightforward, but a separate KML per advisory (some outdated), plus a different webpage syntax to scrape for each center, adds up to a pretty decent chunk of work.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac