Ham/Cell Tower Antenna Location Layer

Jeff Adams

08 Oct, 2020 03:10 PM

Greetings,
I'm curious if you have plans to integrate layer(s) depicting locations of Ham Repeaters or Cell Towers. This information combined with Terrain Statistics available through creating a new line would help an operator understand where they may have gaps in communication coverage on SAR Missions, etc. With some more complex coding, it seems possible to be able to click on a given antenna and view shading on the map showing estimated comms coverage of a given repeater or simulcast network. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any databases of antenna locations.

I am exploring the message thread on "Creating Layers from ShapeFiles" to see if this is something I can do locally. Other suggestions welcome.

Respectfully,
Jeff Adams
Klickitat County SAR

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Meghan on 08 Oct, 2020 07:05 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for reaching out! Currently we don't have any plans to integrate that data. We did look into cellphone tower data and while the FCC does have a tower database, it wasn't easy to figure out which towers hosted cellphone antennas versus something else.

Have you checked out the Viewshed Analysis layer (Add New Layer> Viewshed Analysis)? If you knew the location of local cell phone towers or ham repeater coverage, then this could help with determining communication coverage, particularly for cell phones. VHF waves bend more but it would still be an okay first-order approximation for Ham Repeater coverage.

Best,
    Meghan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac