Air Quality Index please

Scott Smader

25 Aug, 2020 05:50 PM

Current and predicted Air Quality would be great, especially during bad air times, like today in the South SF Bay Area.

I'm loving this app; well, so far, just the website map(s). I can't seem to find clear information about why the Desktop App is worth the premium price. Maybe you folks could find a way to make it a little more compelling.

1. 1 Posted by Scott Smader on 25 Aug, 2020 06:00 PM

Sorry for the duplicate post. And sorry for posting without searching the forums. If I could figure out how to delete my request post, I would. Please feel free to do so on my behalf.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Meghan on 25 Aug, 2020 07:26 PM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the kind words and the new feature suggestion. I've added your suggestion to our future development board for consideration. In the meantime, have you seen this website for learning about current and predicted air quality https://fire.airnow.gov/?

As for the desktop app, the main appeal is that it provides an app that can be used offline on a computer or laptop. Some of the biggest users of this are first responders who don't always have a data connection during incidents.

Best,
    Meghan

3. Meghan closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2020 07:26 PM.

4. Scott Smader re-opened this discussion on 25 Aug, 2020 08:10 PM

5. 3 Posted by Scott Smader on 25 Aug, 2020 08:10 PM

Hi Meghan,

Thank you for the speedy, courteous, informative reply.

I was not aware of the fire.airnow.gov site. Thank you very much. It looks like just what I was hoping to find. One more URL in another browser tab certainly won’t kill me. But it would be more convenient if the overlay could be toggled via your UI controls, so thanks for supporting it in the feature request queue.

I can imagine the extra resources your organization must expend to deliver a fully featured, offline app. It likely goes out with the greatest amount of your IP, too. I guess I just feel bad that first responders end up paying the most for what they need, but I can see how it makes sense. And I see you offer discounts to them. Kudos and thanks for that.

And thanks for making so many of the features available for free to the public on the web. I doubt I’ll be looking every day, but during an emergency like the present fire situation, it’s such a great resource for understanding what’s going on. I hope you all get wealthy for your efforts.

Best wishes,
    Scott

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Meghan on 25 Aug, 2020 08:47 PM

Thanks again for the kind words and feedback, Scott. It definitely helps drive our development cycle to hear input from users.

Stay safe,
    Meghan

7. Meghan closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2020 08:47 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac