Elevation data for Europe

Ven Popov

20 Jul, 2020 06:55 PM

I love caltopo and use it on almost a daily basis. I'm moving to Switzerland and I've noticed on prior trips to Europe that there is no elevation data shown for the cursor when outside of the US. If I draw a line over a path, it still calculates the elevation profile; however the elevation for the current cursor location is not shown, which I typically find very useful. Since elevation data is present (it must be, if the calculated profile shows it), could you find a way to display it for the current cursor, just like you can in the US?

Relatedly, the slope and terrain shading options do not work in Europe. Is there a way to make them work?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 20 Jul, 2020 06:57 PM

The elevation data along a profile line outside of our rendered elevation coverage area is provided by a API lookup to Google. Accordingly we cannot calculate slope angle shading because of the sheer number of elevation lookups. We'll be adding worldwide elevation in the fairly near future along with worldwide Map Builder Topo and Satellite Imagery coverage.

Best,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2020 06:57 PM.

3. Vencislav Popov re-opened this discussion on 20 Jul, 2020 07:05 PM

4. 2 Posted by Vencislav Popov on 20 Jul, 2020 07:05 PM

That's good to hear - do you have an estimate when the worldwide elevation
    and other features will be available?

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Meghan on 20 Jul, 2020 08:48 PM

Due to ever changing priorities and the difficulty in estimating development timelines we don’t provide estimated dates/timelines. I would recommend keeping an eye on our social media and blog for announcements on new features as we are able to add them!

Thank you,
    Meghan

6. Meghan closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2020 08:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac