Mobile: Tap and drag to zoom like Google Maps

tboyce12

27 Jun, 2020 07:50 AM

Hi,

First of all, I really enjoy using CalTopo and its awesome features. I like how the iOS app has a cursor in the middle of the screen for getting data about a precise location on the map. I also like the detailed terrain profile and statistics generation it can do for trails.

In the iOS app, I think it would be useful to support a double-tap-and-drag up/down gesture to zoom in/out. An example of the gesture can be seen in Google Maps and Gaia GPS. It is useful for panning and zooming with only one hand.

Secondly, when I zoom in or out, it always snaps the scale to one of the predefined steps, presumably to avoid anti-aliasing in the map tiles. I think it would be useful to (maybe via an option) disable the zoom snapping, so that I can zoom to a precise scale to fit just the right amount of information on the screen. I often get stuck in the situation where everything appears too small at one zoom step, but at the next zoom step it doesn't all fit in the screen. In this case, I would happily accept some anti-aliasing so that it may all fit.

Thanks for making a great app. The focus on utility makes this my top choice mapping app.
Best,
Tom

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 27 Jun, 2020 03:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Support for those gestures is on the development task board, but a few other tasks take priority still.

As for zoom steps, we haven’t discussed that at all and there are likely some technical hurdles involved. I’ll discuss with the dev team next week and see where something like that fits into development.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2020 03:09 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac