iOS App: Rotate map ; location on profile ; grid lines with scales

Baker

19 Mar, 2020 07:21 AM

Three useful features I’d like to see for the iOS app that are currently available on competing products are:

1. Grid lines with scales. You can currently add grid lines, but they don’t always correspond with the scale in the bottom left and their scale doesn’t seem to adjust too much to be overly useful. The way Gaia currently implements this I find works really well as an example.

2. With the above grid lines it is handy to be able to rotate maps to quickly get an estimate of distance between two points. For example if my route curves across a grid line it can be difficult to estimate the distance. But if you can rotate the map to create a straight line within the grid it is much easier to quickly gauge distance.

3. See your location on the maps profile. This is currently implemented in the web version and incredibly useful for, but it would be great to see on the iOS version as well. To my knowledge only AllTrails does this currently, and this would be a big improvement over Gaia.

Rotate the maps to not always be oriented north.

1. 1 Posted by Baker on 19 Mar, 2020 07:22 AM

Oops, disregard the text after point three. Forgot to delete that before submitting.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by rmarcucci on 19 Mar, 2020 03:03 PM

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will forward them along to the development team for consideration. The app is still a work in progress, with new features to add and bugs to work out.

Thank you for using CalTopo,
    Rom

3. rmarcucci closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2020 03:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac