API

Håvard

14 Mar, 2020 02:14 PM

SAR-TOPO absolutely shines for assignment plotting. Other functions in a SAR command post might be better served by other software. Integration between the solutions is the key to a good workflow. Are there any news towards providing a full, documented API to the SAR Topo back end so that other solutions can sync seamlessly with the SAR Topo data? Creating objects in two different systems is a chore, keeping them in sync is a growing hassle as scope and resources involved increases.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 14 Mar, 2020 07:50 PM

What specific application are you using in conjunction with CalTopo?

2. 2 Posted by Håvard on 14 Mar, 2020 10:32 PM

My query really was general in nature. A benefit of an available API is flexibility with regards to applications, allowing the team to use the best tool for the many different tasks in the organizing of SAR operations.

I'll happily provide an example though. We're currently using an application called SAR-REG for management of resources and assignments. This means registration of personell, organizing of search teams and tasking of these teams to specific assignments.

In a perfectly integrated solution, assignments would show up in the asset management software when created in SAR Topo. Assignment status would be updated in SAR Topo when changed in the asset management software. I'm sure there are other examples as well.

I'd like to stress that my point here is not to bash the resource handling functionality in SAR Topo. It's just that we need a more layered and granulated handling of this kind of data for our purposes. Needs vary among end users, and in my view a good piece of software is primarily one that does one job well, and integrates well with others.

I'm aware of elements of the current API structure of SAR Topo and it appears to offer the needed functionality for getting this data out of the SAR Topo data structure. I'm not sure of the functionality for getting fresh data into said structure, though, and even the parts I do know about are somewhat obscure as I've not been able to find any documentation.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 14 Mar, 2020 10:38 PM

This isn't something we're looking at doing right now, we're focused on adding functionality to the app along with performance improvements as well as some neat team functions in the next few months. We may explore some partnerships with other organizations that provide complimentary and non-duplicative services.

4. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 14 Mar, 2020 10:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac