Enhancing object visibility toggle

jonathan.doman

24 Feb, 2020 02:26 AM

I would like to change how folders work when using "By Item" visibility, in order to make it easier to show or hide items when working with hundreds of objects.

Currently each object has a visibility state which is independent of - but masked by - the folder visibility. The object visibility also cannot be modified when the folder is disabled. This makes it difficult to enable or disable many items in a big folder because you have to click on many checkboxes.

There are (at least) three solutions that would work for me:

1. Make the folder visibility set the sub-object visibility, and allow expanding/viewing disabled folders. Enabling a folder would enable all contained items. Disabling a folder would disable all contained items, but still allow you to view inside and enable a few items. The folder's checkbox would have a indeterminite/tristate value when a subset of objects are enabled. This is how I typically expect nested checkboxes to work, but I expect there are users taking advantage of the current behavior so this may not fly.

2. Add some new UI element for each folder which enables/disables all sub-objects. Or make the visibility state editable via bulk ops tool.

3. Nested folders, which I see have already been discussed on this forum. Then the bulk ops tool can be used to move desired items to a subfolders and then subfolders can have their visibility toggled.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 24 Feb, 2020 09:20 PM

You can currently set all objects to either follow folder visibility or their own state in the config menu at the top of the screen (or in the app in the settings menu). We will definitely at some point implement sub folders, but I don’t think it’ll be all that soon.

Does that accomplish what you were looking for?

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 24 Feb, 2020 09:20 PM.

3. jonathan.doman re-opened this discussion on 25 Feb, 2020 05:21 AM

4. 2 Posted by jonathan.doman on 25 Feb, 2020 05:21 AM

No, let me give an example: say I have a folder with 100 markers in it, and I want to temporarily make just 1 of those markers visible. Currently, I have to enable the folder to see inside, then click on the 99 checkboxes for the objects I don't want to see. This is a hassle.

I would like to be able to expand the disabled folder and just click the 1 item I want to see.
    Basically to use more common nested checkbox UI: https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/98089/nested-checkbox-behavi....

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Lantow on 25 Feb, 2020 07:20 PM

Ah gotcha. I'll add this to the development list for the future.

6. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 25 Feb, 2020 07:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac