U.S. Forest Service Recreation Area Activities WMS layer

mcosgriff

04 Feb, 2020 02:56 AM

I found the WMS layer the USFS puts out with Campgrounds, Picnic Areas, Trailheads, etc. I tried both setting it as a base layer and a transparent overlay. As a transparent overlay it'll block out the selected base layers and as a base layer I have to set the transparency to lower where the rec area layer isn't useful.

In QGIS I'm able to get this layer to stack nice with other base layers, would it be possible to add the rec area WMS layer to CalTopo similar to how MVUM were added?

For reference the WMS layer: EDW_RecreationAreaActivities_01

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Lantow on 04 Feb, 2020 06:22 AM

I have that data set. The MVUM layer was easy because we had several sources that didn't overlap. The problem with the rec layer is that it overlaps several other recreation sources and we need to do much more extensive conflict checking and prioritization before drawing it onto the map. Its in our future plans but not immediately.

The WMS endpoint is tiling it over non transparent tiles which is why it shows up with a background, we may be able to support a transparent background, I'll check with a developer to see.

Most likely it'll be a bit before we're able to parse this data along with several other data sources and add them to mapbuilder topo layers, we just don't want an incomplete data source (such as USFS only or NPS only).

2. Ben Lantow closed this discussion on 04 Feb, 2020 06:22 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac