Saving files in directories or by category

somenumbskull

23 Aug, 2017 10:47 PM

How about giving us the ability to organize files in directories or by categories we create? In other words, I would like to separate my maps into logical groupings such as Hiking, Cycling, Snowmobiling, ATV, etc...or perhaps two-deep: by state, then by activity type.

I've been mapping trails since 2001 across 5 western states and have *lots* of files that I might slowly/eventually upload into CalTopo (depending on how I can keep everything organized).

1. 1 Posted by Chad Redl on 28 Aug, 2017 03:58 AM

I would also love to see this.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by matt on 31 Aug, 2017 05:46 PM

Some form of this is definitely on the to-do list, but I'd estimate it's at least a year out due to other priorities.

3. 3 Posted by Cody on 29 Oct, 2018 08:17 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for all the work on CalTopo, it's unbelievable how great it is to use! I was curious if there's any update on when there might be a feature to help organize lots of maps other than using a set naming convention or ordering system?

Would it be possible to add another column between "Description" and "Sharing" where users could write their own map tags in (like climbing, skiing, packrafting, etc.)? This way a user could click on the top row to organize alphabetically like the other columns and then all the maps would essentially be sorted by folder (they'd just all be open).

Thanks!

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by matt on 31 Oct, 2018 03:55 PM

Sorry, I can't give you an estimate at this time. All I can say is ask again in the spring, there's a major project underway that's occupying all my attention until then. Not quite ready to discuss it, but I think you'll agree it beats out improved map organization.

5. 5 Posted by Cody on 31 Oct, 2018 04:00 PM

No worries, thanks again for all the hard work! I really appreciate everything you've put into CalTopo and can't wait to see what the major project is!

6. kobe.pole closed this discussion on 01 Nov, 2018 02:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac