SARtopo online with APRS

mykle.n7jzt

05 Mar, 2019 08:17 PM

Is the APRS-IS stream available with SARtopo online?

Reading http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/features/157-aprs-tracking
it looks like it may be, but I'm not seeing where to find a properties file in which to make the tweaks that are listed.
Not seeing "locator" as an option in Add New Object.

Perhaps APRS is only available with the "offline" version.
Perhaps the program has evolved to the point where the discussion is no longer relevant.
I'm comfortable with mapping/gis and with APRS, so a few hints may be all that are needed.

Thanks,
Newbie Mykle

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 05 Mar, 2019 11:08 PM

It is, although you have to track callsigns (not counting the SSID) individually. For technical reasons the add locator option is only available on saved maps, not unsaved ones, which is probably why you're not seeing it.

The properties file relates to the offline version, which reads directly from a TNC rather than APRS-IS.

2. 2 Posted by jeff.sikora on 09 Mar, 2019 10:05 PM

So following up via the same. I want to feed APRS data into my online version. Is there is no "locator" field how do we do this ? I dont find any knowledge articles and most of the posts here relate to offline versions.

3. 3 Posted by Adam Kelly on 10 Mar, 2019 08:06 PM

Jeff, you will not see the "Add Locator" field unless it is a saved map. You can not add a locator to an unsaved map.

4. 4 Posted by jeff.sikora on 11 Mar, 2019 11:02 AM

It was on a saved map. I add locator as APRS and added my call along with a
    few others. After a half hour still no locations yet APRS.FI showed all the
    calls and movement.

Jeffrey Sikora

www.wsar.org

5. 5 Posted by Adam Kelly on 11 Mar, 2019 11:13 AM

Jeff,

I apologize I misread your question. I actually was wondering this same thing this weekend as I tried to add a teammates call sign using an APRS locator and couldn't get anything to show on the map despite APRS.FI showing them. I would like it if somebody who has experience doing this could post a screenshot of the Locator box after they have completed it as an example. I only have experience using the Fleet style locators so far.

Best,

Adam K.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac