Control placement of marker labels

Jordan Brown

28 Jan, 2019 05:45 PM

It looks like marker labels are placed northeast (above and to the right) of the marker. That's OK most of the time, but may sometimes obscure something important. It would be nice if you could specify for each marker whether the label should be, probably in terms of compass points.

For extra credit, allow a label to be manually placed, with a line connecting it to the marker.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 29 Jan, 2019 05:39 PM

Noted and the thought has occurred before, but it's not something I see having the bandwidth to tackle in the next year. Allowing manual placement would be a little tricky to handle at variable zoom levels - a fixed pixel offset or a fixed lat/long position both have downsides and wouldn't scale beyond a handful of zoom levels.

If you need to see the map, you can turn labels off via the config menu, and rely on mouseovers to get marker names (the name shows up ta the top right of the screen when you mouse over a marker).

2. 2 Posted by Jordan Brown on 29 Jan, 2019 05:50 PM

Turning labels off via the config menu doesn't work well for printed copies.

Agreed that manual location is tricky, hence the first-level suggestion of offering a choice of the eight compass points (for each particular marker). At least then the user can tweak the markers as required for the particular printed map needed.

To be clear: this isn't critical. I was starting to add markers to add some additional markers to one of our troop's usual hikes, and noticing that they might start obscuring important points.

3. 3 Posted by kd0gbx on 22 Apr, 2019 10:15 PM

I second the request. Would be very helpful for markers that are in close proximity but the map purpose prevents hiding or scaling the zoom far enough to separate the labels.

I do understand prioritization of feature changes.

Thanks

Brad

4. 4 Posted by Mike Squire on 24 Apr, 2019 01:03 PM

I just tried the mouseover with the labels turned off in the Config menu or hidden in the folder and it only worked when the labels were showing. If the labels were not showing, I got "undefined" in the upper right.
    Thanks,
    Mike

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 26 Apr, 2019 10:12 PM

Noted. That's a change in behavior from how things used to work, I'm going to look into it but unfortunately it's not going to be a trivial fix (now labels are not sent to the map at all, before they were sent to the map but hidden in CSS). Sorry.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac