marker to marker elevation profile

Elizabeth

19 Jul, 2017 02:18 AM

I searched the forums and can't find anything that answers my question. But to be fair, I know next to nothing about maps and map making so apologies if it's been asked and answered and I just couldn't make the connection.

Is it possible to get marker to marker profiles on a line? I created a hiking route and plan to aim for 10 miles per day. I put a marker approximately every 10 miles thinking I'd be able to select 2 markers and see the elevation profile just between those 2 markers. That way I'd know exactly which day would be the hardest and could do some local practice hikes with a similar profile. And I'd be able to print out each daily profile so I could mentally prepare for each the day's adventure.

I thought maybe I'd found the solution with the measure line feature but I can't figure out how to select my first marker/point then make it snap to my selected route before I select the second marker/point. So I end up with a profile of a direct line from marker/point to marker/point but the trail never goes directly from point to point.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give a totally novice map builder. I've bumbled through pretty far thanks to all the incredible work that has been done to make caltopo so easy to use.

In case you need some context, here's the link to the map I built: https://caltopo.com/m/810Q

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 19 Jul, 2017 04:10 PM

That is actually coming as a feature - I decided it would be easier to split the profile at user-placed waypoints than to try to support line segments - but it's not here yet.

One option is to break the line up, at least temporarily. Next to the waypoint, right click on the line and choose modify -> split here. If you give them names (day 1, day 2, etc), then you can later recombine them via modify -> join with.

Option 2 is using the measure menu. Choose measure -> distance, and then set the "snap to" dropdown at the top right to "lines", which will only snap to the lines you've already drawn. Click the starting point on the line to snap onto it, and then the ending point, and the line should follow your route. For some reason it looks like it's having difficulty with your t-intersection, so for that segment you would need to trace the line out to the intersection, click on a point off the line to snap off, then snap to the line on the other side of the intersection, if that makes sense.

2. 2 Posted by Elizabeth on 20 Jul, 2017 04:45 AM

Thank you so much for your help! Caltopo made it possible for me, as a total map novice, to plan a unique route for my daughter and I to follow before she heads to college. I'm very grateful for the time, thought and energy that's gone into building and improving such a helpful tool.

I'll start with option one so I can learn a new feature of the site. Relieved to find out that the measure feature has a "snap to" function for lines I've drawn. I totally missed that and just kept wishing it were possible since I was stumped on marker to marker profile data.

Looking forward to planning another adventure someday so I can enjoy the marker to marker profile feature :-)

3. matt closed this discussion on 21 Jul, 2017 03:27 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac