Garmin-like waypoint/route workflow

nate.berkopec

20 Aug, 2018 09:58 PM

Our SAR K9 team has a workflow they'd like to use in SARTopo:

1. Create 3+ points defining an area, as markers.
2. Somehow select all of those markers and have them define the outline of a new polygon.

Their current workflow before SARTopo was to do this in the GPS unit itself. Garmin units allow you to define a "route" as a progression between waypoints (e.g. A-> B -> C).

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 21 Aug, 2018 01:47 AM

Beyond the complexity of figuring out what order those markers should be assembled in for non-trivial polygons, I'm struggling to figure out the why - both why they want to approach the problem this way, and what the justification for auto-connecting the markers is vs simply tracing the polygon out by hand.

2. 2 Posted by nate.berkopec on 21 Aug, 2018 01:40 PM

I think just allowing new lines/polygons to snap-to markers would satisfy our use case. This would eliminate the need for any new UI or automatically assembling routes for complex polygons.

Put another way, the problem is that it is currently impossible to draw a polygon *exactly* between markers. You have to zoom in and sort of click *close to* the marker. They want the *exactness* of a polygon whose vertices are *exactly* equal to marker positions.

3. 3 Posted by Adam Kelly on 21 Aug, 2018 05:19 PM

One limitation of your team creating "areas/sectors" in this fashion is that if they wish to use the where-to function to get to a specific spot within or outside of this "area" then they will lose the polygon that is created. Our team used to use this function sometimes to create route lines to stay within an assigned area but utilizing polygons and area assignments via SARTopo has been much more efficient for us since adapting it. Just something to consider.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by matt on 22 Aug, 2018 03:27 AM

You can now click on markers while drawing a line, but it drops where you click without snapping to the marker itself, so it's not 100% exact. The drawing code uses DOM clicks, while marker clicks come through the Google Maps API, so snapping to markers would be difficult - it would have to be integrated with the other line-drawing snap-to code, but doing so wouldn't be trivial.

Honestly this feels like a use case very specific to old-school GPSs (getting navigable waypoints for the corners) and I still don't really understand why having the duplicate information is useful with a modern GPS that can show the segment on top of a topo map. However I could see possibly doing the reverse, ie adding a marker at each vertex on an existing line / polygon. There's already a Modify -> Create Points option, and it would probably be feasible to create a marker for every existing point rather than distance intervals.

5. 5 Posted by nate.berkopec on 22 Aug, 2018 02:38 PM

> useful with a modern GPS that can show the segment on top of a topo map

A lot of our team likes using the "guide me" modes on GPSes to head towards a particular point. Can't do that with a polygon/line.

> However I could see possibly doing the reverse, ie adding a marker at each vertex on an existing line / polygon

I think this would probably work too. It might be useful for other people if you could do this on lines as well as polygons.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac