Shared maps - don't show the bounding-box rectangle

Keith D.

03 May, 2017 05:11 PM

I find that with the Shared Maps feature, the rectangular "frame" which shoes the extent of each map can be obtrusive. Would it be possible to disable this feature?

See, for example, the shared maps surrounding Mount Rainier (screenshot attached)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by matt on 03 May, 2017 08:51 PM

As the number of maps and features have grown, I realize that the UI currently in place isn't ideal, and it's due for a revamp. Unfortunately there are also a lot of other competing priorities, so I don't have a firm ETA.

I hadn't thought about just disabling the bounding boxes that show up on lower zoom levels, but I agree that makes sense as a temporary workaround. Should get it knocked off in a week or two.

2. 2 Posted by Keith D. on 03 May, 2017 09:20 PM

Thanks!

The UI is actually quite useful - it's just when you get into a popular area like Mt Rainier that things get cluttered.

What I don't like about many other sites is representing a trip/map as a single point. The fact that you show us the individual objects from other maps is really helpful - please don't take that away when you do the revamp!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by matt on 03 May, 2017 11:14 PM

That's always been the case, but it looks like there are enough maps that the bounding boxes form a jumbled mess in more locations than not.

The basic UI won't change but I definitely need to do some kind of selective filtering to remove range rings, long lines with few vertices, etc in order to de-clutter the view and help focus on the data most people are interested in seeing.

4. 4 Posted by Keith D. on 04 May, 2017 02:29 PM

Yeah those filters would be great!

If you're feeling ambitious (and the filters aren't enough), you could give the user control over this with a right-click option to "hide objects from this shared map". (mockup attached). Let users clean up the display themselves...of course I can see it building frustration if someone spends a long time on this only to have Caltopo "forget" once they refresh the page!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by matt on 10 May, 2017 02:52 AM

Change is now live.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• shared_maps.jpg 268 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

26 May, 2017 04:43 PM
26 May, 2017 04:42 PM
26 May, 2017 04:41 PM